Popular Posts

Friday 23 December 2011

Luke Donald wins both PGA and European Tour titles

Donald secured both the PGA Tour and European Tour titles when fellow Brit Rory McIlroy failed to win the Dubai World Championship.


The incredible double has earned the world No1 an amazing ?8MILLION!


And after finishing third in the Dubai tournament, Donald was asked what his late father Colin would have thought.


He said: "He would have been very proud and he would just give me a big hug.


"My father hopped into my head quite a few times. I didn't really look at a leaderboard until the 13th but didn't see Rory's name and so knew it was mine."


He added: "I had so many mixed emotions. This is something I didn't think was possible but it became a possibility midway through the season.


"It's driven me to work hard and be as successful as I've been.


"Rory made it tough but for it actually to happen is almost a weight off my shoulders.


"History is why we play the game and I'm very proud of it. I got what I came for."


McIlroy was the only challenger who could have stopped Donald's reign.


But the Northern Irishman failed to achieve the win he needed in Dubai to keep the race alive.


He said: "I couldn't get anything going when I needed to.


"I played a nine-hole stretch, the last two on Friday and the first seven on Saturday, in five over.


"That's where the tournament got away from me.


The world No2 also said he would be skipping next week's Thailand Golf Championship, the last event of the season on the Asian Tour.


He added: "I can't wait to have a few weeks off. People telling you what to do and where to go.


"Another flight, more sleeping patterns messed up. Next week would have been a big struggle too.


"The doctor told me last night that no matter how bad I'm feeling now I'd be even worse if I played next week."


Spain's Alvaro Quiros holed an eagle on the 18th to claim the Dubai World Championship, two shots ahead of Scotland's Paul Lawrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...